February 13, 2007

"My little paper boat"- Woh kagaz ki kashti

Do take my gold, and my fame, if you must

You can have my youth if you so do will

But do give me back my childhood showers

My little paper boat, the fresh rain's thrill


Do take my gold, and my fame, if you must

You can have my youth if you so do will

But do give me back my childhood showers

My little paper boat, the fresh rain's thrill


My little paper boat, the fresh rain's thrill


She, who, lived here as old as the road

She, whom we children, called granny

She, who wrapped fairies in sweet songs

She, whose wrinkles of years so many

And who, try as much, could forget them

Her fresh long tales filling nights so tiny


My little paper boat, the fresh rain's thrill


To walk out in the scorching heat

To larks and those jays and chasing butterflies

We'd marry our dolls and fight over it

High in our swings jumping far from watchful eyes


And those little trinkets of copper and bark

Those deep scarlet marks of broken bangles and cries


My little paper boat, the fresh rain's thrill


To drag our feet over smooth high dunes

A castle here, a hillock there

Our innocence filling every picture and tune

Our life of toys and dreams

In a world of joy, relations none did prune


Wasn't it beautiful, that life of ours?


Lyrics to the song Woh Kagaz ki kashti, currently playing on Al-Baal Café

Translation by S.A.A.R, with many thanks for a fantastic translation of the Urdu original.

12 comments:

Destitute Rebel said...

This is a wonderful song, leaves the busy world of today and takes you to days when there were no worries. Great post SS.

Diligent Candy said...

This is AMAZING stuff! Thanks. Gosh I cannot believe it translates so well.

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

I love this song D Reb and strangely enough I remembered it in Egypt of all places!

D Candy, my friend is absolutely amazing and the translation is duely credited there! It's beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

Paris je t'aime, et shaykhspeara tu même!

Unknown said...

Jagjit Singh's ghazals are really beautiful, and soothing.

Thanks for putting this one in the Al-Baal Cafe :)

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to say hi...

and btw, I absolutely LOVE this ghazal!!!

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Anon: Oh la la, je vous en prie!

Awos: My pleasure :) I just love him. I got a signed tape once you know...and lost it in Damascus!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Hai Allah kahan phass gaye ho tum? Yaar shadi karte hai aur phir awaaz bhi nahi aa rahi hai tere moo se! lol

It's so good to have you back :) I hope everything is well at your end ....if you have a camera to use, Global Themes is waiting for you to join! :)

Unknown said...

This song is awesome!I understand it better now and will hopefully learn to sing it in a better manner.

Anonymous said...

Where is the picture taken?

Rajen Patel
USA

Anonymous said...

Yes It is very wonderfull... i really feel my child hood.. thank you very much..


haneefa

M H Khan Misha said...

Unparallel Song

Online Hindi Music said...

This is a awesome song and thank you very much for providing such a great collection.